What is a Dad joke?
Dad jokes are harmless, G-rated and usually cringeworthy attempts at humor made by – you guessed it – fathers. Dad jokes are quite often also pun-related, but not always. Dads seem to get a lot of pleasure from telling Dad jokes, we think it’s almost our Dads’ way of paying us back for all of that teenage angst we caused back in our youth.
What makes a Dad joke?
Dad jokes generally all have one common characteristic, which is that they are not even funny at all. Which is ironically what makes them funny, at least from our Dads’ point of view.
Another way to pick up a Dad joke is the reaction of the person being told the joke. The person on the receiving end of the dreaded Dad joke is normally known to groan out loud, ‘face-palm’, or simply pretend it didn’t even happen, hoping that no one else had overheard the joke.
An example of a Dad joke:
One of the most famous Dad jokes, and possibly the original, is:
Daughter: I’m hungry
Dad: Hi Hungry, I’m Dad!
Where did the term ‘Dad joke’ originate?
No one knows for sure just when and where Dad Jokes first became a thing, but some of the early pop-culture references included Australian Quiz Show ‘Spicks and Specks’, and also the popular American sitcom, ‘How I met your mother’.
Our favourite Dad jokes
Dad jokes are now so popular (who knows why!), especially with some members of our team, so to celebrate Father’s Day, this year we asked some of The Westport Club staff to share their favourite Dad jokes with us. Here are our top 25 Dad jokes:
1. I ate a clock yesterday… it was so time consuming.
2. Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
3. Why do you never see elephants hiding in trees? They can’t climb the trunk.
4. What’s the difference between a hippo and a zippo… ones really heavy and the other is a little lighter.
5. I was thinking of going on an all almond diet… but that’s just nuts!
7. I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. It’s impossible to put down.
8. How many tickles does it take for an octopus to laugh? Ten tickles.
9. I woke up exhausted this morning. I dreamt I was a muffler.
10. How many apples grow on a tree…. All of them.
11. When you have a bladder infection… urine trouble.
12. Why did the scarecrow get an award? He was outstanding in his field.
14. How long does a jousting tournament last? Until knightfall.
15. Geology rocks, but geography is where it’s at.
16. The lady who invented fairy bread died. There were hundreds and thousands at the funeral.
17. Does being blind make you a better musician, or is that just Superstition?
19. Why was the sand wet? Because the seaweed.
20. I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey. But I turned myself around.
21. I used to hate facial hair…and then it grew on me!
22. Did you hear about the guy who invented the knock knock joke? He won the no bell prize!
23. Spring is here! I got so excited I wet my plants!
24. Me: there’s something in my eye. Dad: Looks like an eyeball!
25. What’s brown and sticky? A stick.
That concludes our list of Top 25 Dad jokes
We hope you might be able to use some of these suggestions as a way of beating your Dad at his own game – if you dare!
Father’s Day this year is Sunday 2 September, so if you haven’t organised a gift for your Dad yet, be sure to head over to our Father’s Day gift ideas blog and if you’re looking for ways to treat your Dad on the day, check out what’s on at The Westport Club on Father’s Day. If your Dad loves beer, ribs, chicken wings, or footy then we have you covered!
You might also like
Want to Stay In the Know?
Stay up to date with What’s On at The Westport Club by signing up to our e-newsletter.
Oops! We could not locate your form.