If you’re local, visiting family or friends, or looking at Port Macquarie for your next holiday destination, you may need to consider the availability of dog friendly spaces – because who wants to leave their poor pooch at home!? The stunning Hastings area is more than welcoming to your four-legged family members, here’s everything you need to know about bringing your dog along in Port Macquarie.
Pet friendly accommodation is becoming more common across the country due to the increase in demand from travelers. The idea of leaving your pet behind when you go on holiday can be really stressful, as well as expensive! Put down the boarding kennel brochures and consider taking your dog with you next time you book a family getaway. A quick google search will give you a full list of what’s available in the area, but here are a few, along with the rules of each site.
- Camping/Caravan Parks –
- Telegraph Retreat – Well-behaved pets welcome. Enquire before booking.
- BIG4 Sunshine Resort South West Rocks – Dogs accepted in a restricted number of villas and campsites. Pre-approval required before booking. No pets allowed during peak and holiday periods or long weekends.
- NRMA Port Macquarie Breakwall Holiday Park – No pets permitted during Christmas school holiday period and Easter long weekend.
- Stoney Park Stoney Park – Dogs are permitted in cabins. Enquire before booking.
- Jacaranda Holiday Park Gateway Lifestyle – Dogs not allowed during peak season over Christmas and New Years.
- Jordan’s Boating Centre and Holiday Park – Pets permitted on caravan sites. Not allowed in cabins.
- Reflections Holiday Park – Dogs permitted on sites and selected cabins excluding the Christmas/New Year Period.
- Reflections Holiday Park – Dogs are permitted at during Off Peak and Shoulder Seasons (Standard Cabin & Sites only).
- Leisure Tourist Park Leisure Tourist Park – Well-behaved pets welcome. Enquire before booking.
- Hotel/Motels –
- Strathmore Lodge – Dogs only. Fees apply. Enquire before booking.
- Seychelles at Shelly Beach – House trained pets permitted with management approval.
- Narimba Motel – Pets welcome. Fees apply. Enquire before booking
You can also check out Airbnb who often have put friendly properties – you can even add that to your search parameters!
Most dogs are pretty happy just to be included in a family outing, even if they have to be on the leash to hang out. The beaches below are stunning choices for a day of fun, and if you’ve got a long rope, your dog can enjoy the day with you! Being in our beautiful outdoors is one of the top reasons for living in or visiting Port Macquarie – and let’s face it, it’s your dogs favourite place too!
- Oxley Beach, Port Macquarie
- Cathie Beach, Lake Cathie (Molong Street beach access point to Middle Rock)
- Rainbow Beach, Bonny Hills – from leash free access point north to Duchess Creek (for access to leash free area only)
- Grants Beach, North Haven (from Surf Club car park north for a distance of 200m)
- Dunbogan Beach, Dunbogan (from the southern boundary of Kattang Nature Reserve to the Seaview Avenue beach access point).
- Sancrox Reserve
Sometimes your pooch just needs to run free, especially after a few days of being on their best holiday behaviour. Off leash areas are essential if you are lacking a big enough yard to accommodate the exercise needs of your pet! According to the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council website, the following areas are 24/7 off leash and ready for some serious doggy fun.
- North Shore Beach from northern end on Corrilla Estate North to Limeburners Creek National Park boundary at the Broken Bit
- North Shore Beach from southern end of Corrilla Estate South to the breakwall
- Rocky Beach, Port Macquarie
- Nobby’s Beach, Port Macquarie
- Lighthouse Beach Port Macquarie from Watonga Rocks south to the 4WD beach access point Lake Cathie
- Rainbow Beach, Bonny Hills from Duchess Creek north to Middle Rock
- Spooney’s Bay, Bonny Hills
- Grants Beach, North Haven from the northern end of the surf club car park, north to Grants Head
- Washhouse Beach, Dunbogan from the breakwall to the North boundary of the Kattang Nature Reserve
- Dunbogan Beach, Dunbogan from the Seaview beach access point south to Beach Street access point
The Port Macquarie-Hastings area has three purpose built fenced dog parks. They are all equipped with brain-teasing equipment to make sure your pet is well and truly worn out after your visit! If you’re into agility training with your furry friend, these spaces are perfect for you!
- Henry Kendall Reserve, Laurieton
- Blackbutt Park, Wauchope
- Stuart Park, Port Macquarie
Dogs are welcome in other parks and along public walkways like the beautiful break wall, just ensure they are leashed and well behaved – and don’t forget your poop bags!
Restaurants and Cafes
The plethora of amazing restaurants and cafes in this area means we are spoilt for choice, and our idyllic weather has inspired a multitude of outdoor spaces to eat and drink. So many of these spaces are dog friendly, you can usually identify them by the water bowls left out by thoughtful owners and staff! As long as your dog is on a lead, there are very few outdoor seats across town where you can’t enjoy a meal with the whole family. Pop by Hastings Coffee Co. any day of the week and treat your little mate to a ‘puppychino’ – our team loves the chance to spoil your pup!
Port Macquarie really is the perfect place to live, holiday, or stop by on your way up the coast – and we would never leave your dog out in the cold!